Calling All Gamers: Discover the Secret Life of Cats in Minecraft with These FAQs!
Minecraft has been going wild for a while and has added a lot of features to its base game versions. One of them is the favorite game mechanic of players, the pet system. The pet system is often referred to as taming. It is an added mechanic wherein players are given the chance to tame a few mobs and domesticate them.
One of the many tamable mobs in Minecraft is the adorable and uncanny cats. If you’re looking for the basic facts and answers regarding Minecraft cats, you came to the right place. We summarized o you some of the most frequently asked questions about cats in Minecraft. Read on!
Table of Contents
Minecraft Name Generator
- Minecraft added a pet system mechanic called taming, which allows players to domesticate mobs, including cats.
- Cats belong to the passive behavior category of mobs and can be found spawning in swamp huts and villages.
- Players can find cats in random village areas in different locations in the world. A cat is spawned for every four owned beds in the old Bedrock Edition of Minecraft.
- There are 11 known skin types of cats in Minecraft.
- Taming a stray cat requires either raw cod or raw salmon. Feeding raw cod or raw salmon to an untamed cat initiates the taming process.
- Feeding raw cod or raw salmon to a tamed cat increases its friendliness towards the player and enables their “love mode.”
- Breeding starts by enabling the “love mode” of mobs of the same type. Love mode can be enabled by simply feeding the cat raw cod or raw salmon. A kitten will spawn in the same area as the two breeding cats after a few minutes.
- The rarest cat in Minecraft is the Jellie, a specially designed cat type in commemoration of Jellie, the cat of YouTube vlogger GoodTimesWithScar. Jellie was a community-voted winner on Twitter, gaining the honor to be referenced as a cat type in Minecraft.
9 Important FAQs About Minecraft Cats
Cats belong to the passive behavior category of mobs. They are often found spawning in swamp huts and villages. Cats found straying outside the villages or in random huts are considered untamed cats. They are the possible candidates that can be tamed later by players. Below are the 6 common questions of players that you need to know about cats in Minecraft.
How to Find Cats in Minecraft?
Cats can appear in random village areas in different locations in the world. The spawned cats have a random appearance and their spawn timer is different from other passive mobs. In the old Bedrock Edition of Minecraft, a cat is spawned for every four (4) owned beds. These beds must be owned by a specific villager to be counted. Up to 5 cats can spawn for every 20 owned beds in a village. There is around a 25% probability that the spawned cat is a kitten, while 50% of spawned cats become black during a full moon.
There are instances in which players may encounter an isolated swamp hut with a witch dwelling in it. There is always one untamed black cat on this swamp together with the witch. This spawned cat never despawns and additional black cats may spawn on the same swamp hut.
What are the Cat Skin Types in Minecraft?
Cats in Minecraft only have two sizes, one for the adult cat and the other for the kitten which is smaller. All the models and sizes of the cats are the same except for their color types or skins. There are 11 known skin types of cats which are the following:
- Black – has black skin texture and orange eyes
- British Shorthair – has silver skin color with yellow eyes
- Calico – has a skin color combination of orange, white, and dark brown spots. They either have yellow or blue eyes.
- Jellie – A specially designed cat type in commemoration of Jellie, the cat of YouTube vlogger GoodTimesWithScar. Jellie was a community-voted winner on Twitter, gaining the honor to be referenced as a cat type in Minecraft.
- Persian – has cream-colored skin and blue eyes. They have a unique flat-face design.
- Ragdoll – has a white skin texture that looks fluffy or soft. They have blue eyes.
- Red – they are actually orange-colored cats that have green eyes.
- Siamese – has a combination of white and pale brown color. They have blue eyes.
- Tabby – has a combination of brown and white color and has yellow eyes.
- Tuxedo – has a combination of black and white skin texture and green eyes.
- White – pure white-colored cat that has either light blue or yellow eyes.
How to Feed and Tame a Cat in Minecraft?
Taming is the only method to get a stray cat to follow the player. To do this, we will need either raw cod or raw salmon. The process of taming can then be initiated by approaching the cat while holding the raw fish. Interact with the cat to give the raw cod or raw salmon. Repeat this until hearts start to appear at the top of its head.
While the steps mentioned seem simple, players should be cautious when approaching stray cats. Untamed cats have tendencies to run away from the player within 7 blocks. To correctly start the taming process, approach the cat within 10 blocks while holding a raw cod or raw salmon. The cat will slowly approach the player, giving them a chance to feed the cat. Repeat this process until the cat is tamed. Take note that when players stop holding a fish for too long while the cat is not yet tamed, the cat will flee.
What do Cats Eat in Minecraft?
Like any other mob creature, cats also need a delicious meal to stay happy. There are only two possible items to feed the cats: raw cod or the raw salmon. Feeding a raw cod or a raw salmon to a tamed cat increases its friendliness towards the player and enables their “love mode” while feeding these to untamed cats initiates a taming process.
Raw cod and raw salmon can be gathered through fishing. Cods can also be acquired as random loot from killed dolphins. Whereas both raw cod and raw salmon can be looted from killed guardians, elder guardians, and polar bears.
How to Breed Cats in Minecraft?
Some enthusiastic players prefer to upsize the number of their feline friends through breeding. Thankfully, Minecraft also introduced a breeding mechanic in the game. Breeding starts by enabling the “love mode” of mobs of the same type. For this case, if we want to breed cats, we should place two cats in love mode together, in a single area. Love mode can be enabled by simply feeding the cat raw cod or raw salmon. Once in love mode, heart icons continuously appear on the heads of the cats which gives the signal that they are ready for breeding.
After a few minutes, a kitten will spawn in the same area as the two breeding cats. The kitten can only inherit either of the colors of its parent.
What is the Rarest Cat in Minecraft?
Among the eleven types of cats, the most common to spawn in the world is the tabby, tuxedo, and calico. Black cats increase in number during instances of a full moon. The rarest cat in Minecraft is the Siamese cat. The gray tabby would also be a candidate. It is supposedly a separate cat type included in the game files of Minecraft but was left unused by the developers. They do not spawn naturally in-game.
The Siamese cat type, on the other hand, is also unused but in Bedrock Edition only.
Bonus Trivia About Minecraft Cats
Did you know that there are some easter eggs that you probably missed regarding cats in Minecraft? We listed some of the identified details observed by the players.
- Calico cats and white cats have heterochromia eyes. They always spawn with different eye-color.
- Cats in Minecraft do not receive fall damage. This is to give credit to the fact that real-life cats can always fall upright when falling.
- Cats, as well as other mobs and tamable mobs in Minecraft, are genderless.