Italian Name Generator
Italian name generator on this page will generate you some Italian names absolutely free.
Looking for a name for your character? There are more then 30,000 names in the database. Use the buttons bellow to get more name ideas, until you find the desired name.
The Italians also have a special tradition of choosing names. Let’s look at them further:
- During the Middle Ages, babies were named after saints. Today, this tradition is still supported by the villagers. While in megacities, it is more and more going into oblivion.
- The majority of modern Italian names have a Latin basis.
- When the Roman Empire was still in Italy, there was a rather interesting custom. As a rule, many children were born in families. And the parents, to avoid confusion, named only the four older boys. And the other sons were given names of ordinal numbers (for example, Sextus – that is, the sixth in a row).
- Today, it is popular for young parents to name their children after public figures, especially athletes. In connection with the mass fascination of Italians with football, new Fabio, Paolo, Mario, etc. are increasingly being registered.
- Until the 19th century, the most common Italian male names were Giuseppe and Leonardo. Today they were replaced by the names of Mario and Fernando. The fact is that modern Italians prefer shorter versions of names, because they are much more convenient in everyday life.
- Previously, in Italy, the first son was named after his paternal grandfather. And the second – was also given the name of the grandfather, but on the mother’s side. Then each subsequent son was named after his father or another close male relative. Therefore, it is not surprising that the family tree of one family often includes ten Paolo, eight Francesco and twelve Marcello.
- What about Italian surnames? The most common surname is considered to be Rossi.
The most common Italian Names for boys are:
The most common Italian Names for girls are:
Here are most common Italian Last names: